Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Love and what?

Greg and I are attending the Love and Logic class at church once a month on Sunday afternoon. We missed the first class because I was still sick. Last Sunday was the second class and although Greg wasn't feeling very well we went anyway. We chose the older class because we have 2 kids in that category and only Connor in the baby to 6 age group. I think after the first two, or at least I hope, that I can handle whatever Connor has in store for us. So, we are attending the 7-12 year old class. A lot of our time last Sunday was spent talking about letting them make mistakes now while they are not so big and not letting them get to the teenage years to make bigger mistakes. As hard as it is if we let them learn, even painful lessons now, it will help them not to make really painful mistakes later in life.
So, I tried it with my 22 month old yesterday! He has been carrying around a balloon from Valentines for days and when it was time to leave the house yesterday to run an errand he wanted to bring it. In my head I thought this is perfect for teaching one of those little painful lessons. I said, "Connor, it is going to be so... sad when that balloon flies away or pops on you!" He says, "No, pop" "Baaooon Mommy!" So of course I say ok, you can bring it but I will be sad when you lose it. He held onto that balloon for dear life and that stinking balloon is back in our house as I type! I have the Love part down, but the Logic part is evading me for now!

No comments: