Thursday, January 31, 2008

All About Connor...

Finally the day had come for our baby Connor's Bone Marrow Biopsy. I have to say I have dreaded this day for a long time now. The whole idea of what was to happen to him scared me but even more I think I was terrified of what they might find. I don't think Greg or I slept at all the night before. We arrived at the hospital in plenty of time to sit and wait and wait because the anesthesiologist was running late. Sitting around in an oncologist office is so very depressing. Connor enjoyed playing in the really nice playroom but watching the kids that come through for their chemo or radiation was the saddest and most terrifying thing I have ever been through. At the same time it made me feel blessed. We know we can get through anything because we have each other and our family and friends. Connor played with a really nice little 4 year old who was there for his chemo treatment. As he went back for his treatment his mother who had asked what Connor's diagnosis was told us Good luck, we are praying for you! Wow, her sweet little boy who had no hair left and was rather skinny but had the cutest smile was going into a treatment that is so hard on him and she was wishing us well.
Finally, it was Connor's turn for surgery. The doctor and the anesthesiologist and the nurse came out to walk us back. We got to take him to the operating room and kiss him good-bye and then the nurse took him so they could hook his IV up. All the way down the hall I could hear my baby calling for mommy. Talk about breaking my heart. So, of course, all the way down the hall mommy cried and Daddy kept telling me it would be ok.
Not too long after the doctor was back out in the waiting room telling me to come with him and that it went really well. As I entered the room I could hear my Connor snoring! Really loud snoring! Boy, was he getting a good nap. I sat down by him and held his hand until he started to wake up. Then the nurse started trying to dress him because he was getting cold and he got really upset. He kept trying to sit up and started crying. He was so confused and sleepy. I am so relieved that the biopsy is over and the good news is the doctor called us a few hours later and said he had looked at a stain of marrow under the scope for about 30 minutes and he thought the marrow looked great! He was sure he saw no abnormalities or luekemia! That was a big prayer answered. He also said his white cell count numbers were higher than they have ever been! Another answered prayer! Next week we will recheck his blood and then he felt sure we could start the special shots that will help him produce more white blood cells to protect him. We still have to wait for the official report from UTSW but the doctor felt really good about what he saw.
I know in my heart that all the many, many prayers that went up on Connor's behalf had everything to do with the positive results we have gotten so far.
Are we out of the woods yet? NO, but we sure feel like we are headed down the right path now.

A few days ago we couldn't find Connor anywhere. Greg found him in our bed, with my reading glasses on, pretending to read my book! Is he a teachers kid or what!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy with all the results for Connor so far. He and all of you guys are in my daily prayers!

C-Man looks so smart with the glasses on...

:-)

Tamara

Amy Smith said...

I have been thinking so much about you guys. I am so happy that you have made it through that horrible day. What wonderful news, that his results came back normal. I pray that God will heal his body and to be with you and Greg as you continue to take care of your precious baby. Please give everyone a hug for us.