Monday, April 20, 2009

Our Silkworms

We inherited silkworms from Connor's Enrichment teacher at Sunshine School! She told me Connor loved them and we should take some home to watch. Well, I did and we are enjoying watching them grow and grow and grow! They only eat mulberry leaves and we are raiding a neighbors tree daily to keep up with their feeding habits. They started out smaller than our fingernail and have more then tripled in size in a week! You can actually hear them crunching on the leaves while they eat.
When they get large enough they will spin themselves into a silky cocoon and I'll post pics then!
From what I remember of them from teaching 1st grade, I need to make sure closer to spinning time that the box is covered or they will climb my wall to spin!!!

1 comment:

Traci said...

SO cool! I love that you have silkworms. They are kind of freaking me out tho!

Did you change your email? I got a message back the other day.....